Sunday, December 14, 2008

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Emma is finally officially and completely potty trained. No more sleeping panties at night and poopies go in the potty. I was dressing Annie the Tuesday night and Emma started freaking because she had to go potty. I told her to go sit on the potty and I'd be in when I was done. Emma started screaming like someone was beating her because she had poopied in the potty. That's all it took because she's been doing it ever since. She did have a tinkle accident later that night and thought Santa wouldn't come but a letter from the big guy took care of that.

Friday night we took the girls to see Santa at Jefferson Pointe.  Kurt and I decided that the downside to having a smart kid is that we're going to have to work to keep Santa around.  Emma kept asking all afternoon if we were going to the North Pole.  Then, when we got to Santa's cottage, she kept asking where the reindeer were.  While we were eating dinner, she kept asking why Santa's sleigh was not at his cottage.  It was heartbreaking because she was so disturbed about the sleigh and the reindeer.  Kurt even told her that Santa's sleigh was in the parking lot like our car was and she didn't buy it.  Anyway, she did sit on Santa's lap this year (sans screaming) and told Santa that she wants a doll that goes potty and that she has learned to poop in the potty.  Annie just stared at Santa in utter disbelief the whole time.  Emma asks us every night if Santa will visit.  She's so excited for Christmas.  

Annie has a new habit - picking at teeth with her fingernail.
Jefferson Pointe has a play area in the food court so we can't get out of there without playing.
Annie had the greatest time watching Emma.  Annie's belly laughs are hysterical.

"Do you believe this, sis?"


Shock and awe.

Emma's performance went really well last night.  Kurt and I took her for ice cream after she was done.  It didn't occur to me that in 33 years, I have never attended a recital or concert like this and been in the audience.  I've always been on stage.  I was more anxious sitting in the audience than I've ever been on stage.  It was awful.  But Emma did a great job and even took two bows which the audience loved.  Three of the moms working back stage told me how darling Emma is during dress rehearsal.  I hope she does as well this afternoon.

Annie had her first OT appointment on Thursday.  She did really well with a "stranger" but was not too fond of all the work.  Lis, Annie's OT, is working with core strengthening and it really fatigues Annie.  Lis said we're getting all the right toys and have been doing everything correctly but Annie needs to work on her core strength and upper body strength.  Annie is a really smart little girl and misses nothing but she has some muscle tone issues, just like she has with the oral motor and strength.  Annie's doing really well with eating.  She is working on Stage 3 foods but we have to grind them up.  She can't handle the mixed texture foods that have a whole pea or carrot in them.  She does great with pasta dinners that have been ground up.  She's trying to chew but doesn't quite have it yet.  She's also trying to hold her own bottle but still struggles with larger bottles.  She's really making some good progress but has a way to go.  

My asthma is finally under control.  I had a check-up two weeks ago.  I did have three doctors in the same day ask me, "You aren't having any more kids, are you?".  It's one thing to decide not to have any more kids but it's completely another when someone says you can't.  The concern is that given the past losses and complications with asthma, especially with Annie, it's too much of a risk for me and another baby.  My allergist told me I have the record for the most number of steroids given to a pregnant woman.  The student who was following her was looking through my breathing tests and said she'd never seen anything that bad.  "I've read about it, though."  I understand the risks but it's still a slap in the face.  I can't be too upset, though.  I have the two most darling girls.  

Annie will be waking up soon.  More updates, pictures, and videos coming soon!


No comments: