It's been a long time since we've posted and there has been TONS going on. First and foremost, we lost our beloved kitty, Sophie Jane, to complications of diabetes. Sophie was 11. She had an obstruction and was headed for surgery when they informed us of her lab results. Her blood pressure was very low and she was very dehydrated. That combined with the diabetes would make for a risky surgery. They also found that she had kidney stones, a bladder infection, she was not able to concentrate urine, and, she had lost 50-75% of her kidney function. They were willing to perform surgery and remove the stones at the same time but said that her recovery would be long and very difficult, if she made it through surgery. Having been through feline renal failure before, we knew the prognosis and were not willing to have her suffer through surgery only to endure more suffering as her kidneys continued to fail. Sophie passed on Sunday, March 22, 2009 with me and Kurt at her side. We miss her terribly.
We then got news that my Uncle Jim was hospitalized due to complications from ALS. He was diagnosed with pneumonia and was really not well. They pulled 1600 cc's of fluid from his lungs during his hospitalization. He also had complications with wounds on his feet from the steroid injections he was given. He came home and was with hospice care for a little more than a week. He asked my aunt at one point if she thought Allan, my dad, was waiting for him. He was not eating, opening his eyes, or talking. He was given 3-4 years when he was first diagnosed. Uncle Jim lost his 14 year battle with ALS late in the evening on March 28, 2009. He was surrounded by his wife, children, and grandchildren. Emma, Annie, and I flew to Atlanta on Wednesday, April 1st for the funeral.
On a brighter note, we also spent some time in Columbus, Ohio to celebrate my uncle and godfather's Oath of Office ceremony as Chief of Police. Uncle Lee has been with the Columbus Police Department for 37 years and we could not be more proud of his achievements. It was also great to see family and friends that we haven't seen in a while.
We are also awaiting news on a D-O-G. After Sophie passed I came to the realization that the right animal would find us at the right time and made my peace with that. A week later I received an email about a fellow teacher in the district had terminal cancer and needed to find a home for her three year-old Border Collie mix, Noah. Neither of her children were in a position to take Noah. I don't know what possessed me but from the moment I read about Noah I felt drawn to him - even before I saw his pictures. Noah's people mommy has since passed. Noah came for a visit last night and I cannot find one bad thing to say about him. He is so sweet and the biggest lover I have ever met. He and the kids did really well together. When Kurt told Emma to give Noah hugs and kisses before he left, Emma said, "Daddy, I want Noah to stay here." I'm really, really hoping Noah finds a new home with us.
I'm sorry this is so much text and no pictures but I promise that pictures are coming.
To all our family and friends: we love you and miss you.
XOXO
Monday, April 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment