Drummond is nothing flashy. It is a small community island, one mile off the mainland of the upper peninsula of Michigan. Most of the residents survive either by running resorts or businesses that cater to tourists. Who are the tourists? Hunters, fisherman (and women), and outdoor enthusiasts. There used to be two general stores but one closed some time while I was in college. Town consists of "Four Corners" which actually only has stores on three of the four corners. There's the Tee Pee (local ice cream store), a couple of gift shops, a few restaurants, and LOTS of resorts. There's an elementary school on the island but after 5th or 6th grade you have to ferry over to the mainland to got o school. Drummond's claim to fame came when Tom Monghan bought an estate designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and tried to turn the island into is playground. People thought he was the antichrist when he paved over the turf runway so he could fly his Domino's jet in. By the way, the runway still intersects the local golf course. You have to cross the runway during your game. :-)
As a kid, I sometimes thought it was the most boring place in the world. We'd end up on a boat fishing all day. I hated fishing and my mom wouldn't let me swim in the lake for two reasons: She was afraid of me getting caught in fishing lines and the water was usually too cold. When I got older, I took friends with me - usually my cousin Mindy. Mindy was a great companion because she appreciated Drummond for what it was: A real vacation.
We're getting ready to head up there for our annual trip. A lot has changed since the first summer I went. My mom stays in a different cabin and my brother and his family stay in ours. Drummond has some really awesome stores now - The Islander, Gourmet Galley & Port-of-Call Restaurant. The resort has changed ownership. The cabins have tv's and microwaves now. Friends, especially the canine ones - have come and gone. The biggest change is that my dad is no longer around to enjoy the paradise he introduced to us. Despite all the changes I wouldn't miss going for the world. I hope my girls will grow up learning to love the peace and serenity I found. And appreciate a week where your cell can't pick up a signal!


Sunset over Potagannissing Bay






No comments:
Post a Comment