
Lisa and Mark at Annie's baptism 17 Aug 2008
Today was a sad, sad day for Lisa and all of those who love her. Her fiance, Mark, passed in his sleep, very unexpectedly, last Thursday. We have only met Mark a couple of times but it was clear how happy they made each other. As I watched Lisa and her parents at the funeral today my heart broke. There were no words to describe watching my aunt and uncle so overcome with grief for their daughter and not be able to take it away. I am so heartbroken for you all.
I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason but in a situation like this it's so difficult to not find that belief trite. The pastor spoke today about how often we let our lives become unbalanced and out of focus; how we forget what it truly important. I think my three year-old teaches me this far more than I realize.
At the funeral home:
Emma: (pointing to the casket) What that boy doing?
Mommy: He has gone to heaven to be with the angels.
Emma: And everyone is sad?
Mommy: Yes, everyone is sad because they will miss him.
Emma: And he is with the angels?
Mommy: Yes, sweetheart, he is with the angels?
Emma: Why everyone sad?
Later at the cemetery:
Emma: What are they doing?
Mommy: They are saying goodbye. When we die, part of us goes to heaven to be with the angels and part of us stays here. They are saying goodbye to the part of us that stays here.
Emma: (after some contemplation) I will stay here. This is my home. Can I pick some flowers?
Lisa,
I know the journey you are beginning is not one you asked for. I know the days ahead will be long and difficult. Know that you are loved and Mark is always with you.




No comments:
Post a Comment