Monday, January 26, 2009

Time Flies

There is so much to say about what's been going on in our household.  I'm not exactly sure where to start so I'm just jumping in - try to keep up.

Annie is doing awesome with OT (occupational therapist) and we're hoping that she'll be discharged soon.  She's still got some work to do with the speech therapist, but, overall, she's made remarkable strides.  Before Christmas, she was trying to sit on her own but just couldn't quite get the hang of it.  In the week after Christmas, she learned to sit up on her own, crawl on hands and knees (she'd been doing this Army crawl thing), pull herself up, start cruising, and, start cruising from one object to another around the living room.  She also started drinking from a straw, which is good because she can't manage a sippy cup.  She ends up frustrated, throws it on floor, and screams.  We've been trying to teach Annie signs but she really doesn't have time for that.  She, instead, just tries to say words, which is infinitely funnier.  She sort of looks like Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, trying to say words.  She's now saying, Ma-ma, Emma, ba-ba, more, YEAH-YEAH, kitty cat, cat, dog, and, is trying Da-da.  There have been several times she's been banished (to the other room) at the sitter's because she happy screams and drives the other kids insane.  

Annie's also grown, physically.  We noticed that she is the tallest, and youngest, baby in play group.  The next tallest baby is 28+ inches and Annie had a good 3" on him.  To put it in perspective, Emma was 36" at two years.  Annie's approximately 31" at nine months.  I guess I should be looking into volleyball programs.    

While Annie is doing well, I'm still struggling with the effects of all the steroids I had before she was born (asthma's a bitch).  The docs feel that it will take a good two years for the side effects to wear off.  I had a terrible case of bronchitis last fall and got that resolved.  Then I had some problems with with the antibiotics I was on while I had some bronchitis.  Of course, that wasn't a simple fix because I am considered to have a "compromised immune system".  That cleared up and and I thought I was on my way when I got the news that I had a kidney infection and they were worried that it might become systemic.  I started meds for that in December and I'm still finishing up.  Now, I am getting a head cold and hoping that's all it is.  My joints are also killing me but that could just be not having the steroids or years of gymnastics catching up.  I was tested for RA when I was a kid but with my luck, I wouldn't rule out anything.  Every creeping crud I catch gets super bad, super fast, and takes twice as long to clear up.  I am SOOOOO incredibly sick of being sick.  This is why I've been advised not to even consider having more babies.  My asthma gets worse with every pregnancy (all four of them) and the effects could be deadly or debilitating for me or a baby.  But, every time I look at Annie, no matter how miserable I feel, I know I'd do it again in a heartbeat and never think twice.  She was worth it and then some.  

Sophie and Sadie have also had some problems lately.  Sadie had an inflamed bladder because she wasn't getting enough water.  We knew that Sophie was drinking gallons of water and making lakes in the litter box but weren't concerned because she was gaining weight.  Long story and two trips to the vet later, Sadie is fine but Sophie is diabetic.  About 1 in 400 cats are diabetic so with proper care, she can live a full life.  Kurt and I go tomorrow to learn  how to give her insulin.  We'll have to monitor her until we get the dosage correct.  We decided to buy a monitor and test her at home so she doesn't have to go through the trauma - and we don't have to go through the cash drain - of taking her to the vet ($$$) and have blood draws ($$$$$) until they get it correct.  The vet assured us that it is not a death sentence and it doesn't mean we're tied to the house.  Cross your fingers - and paws.  Sophie is only 11 and I'm not ready for the unmentionable, not mention, having to explain it to Emma.  She so LOVES animals.  

Emma is growing just as much as Annie.  She's 3 1/2 going on about 23.  She's copped a bit of an attitude since Christmas and Kurt and I have been trying to nip it in the bud.  She's started throwing tantrums, stomping, and screaming when we ask her to do something.  I finally told her last week that every time she threw a tantrum she was getting her bottom swatted.  It took three swats in one night but she is coming around.  We're still working on using our "listening ears", "walking feet", and "inside voices", but if that's all we have to complain about, I'm more than ecstatic.  Kurt and I realized that we'll be registering Emma for kindergarten in a year.  The very thought makes me want to cry.  It just doesn't seem possible.  We're not sure if we're going public or private but want to explore all of our options.  Emma does so well in her dance  and preschool classes that I'm sure she'll do well in kindergarten.  

Emma's quite a mime and a ham.  She is very much into her Barbies and baby dolls.  Kurt is having issues with Emma becoming a big girl, also.  He tried to convince Emma that her Bridal Barbie was actually First Communion Barbie, or that her dress could be died black and she could be Sister Barbie.  I know she's feeling the need for attention, especially when Annie has therapy.  We're trying to do things, even small things around the house, to make her feel important.  Emma is a wonderful big sister, though.  She's so helpful and kind.  Don't get me wrong - I have to remind her that we don't rip toys from Annie's hands and we don't push her down - but all-in-all, she's a very loving big sister.  Annie is enamorate of Emma.

So I actually found a few free moments to catch up but I need to scrub my munchkins.  Much love to everyone . . . 

No comments: