Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What's going on at our house?

Well, after many months of wonder, we finally have an answer for Miss Annie - Sensory Processing Dysfunction.  It explains all of the issues.  Occupational therapy and continued speech therapy are the best treatments for Annie.  Essentially, Annie is able to take in information but has difficult or an inability to process what the information.  SPD is a neurological disorder; however, because we've caught it early enough, Annie's central nervous system is still "pliable" enough that we can teach her how to overcome this.  SPD is often a precursor to ADHD, anxiety disorders, etc. so it's imperative that we work with Annie now.  SPD is on the autism spectrum but Annie does not have autism.  Annie's ST, Teresa, feels that Annie is some issue where she is over-responsive to stimuli and other times when she is under-responsive to stimuli.  After looking at some material about SPD, I tend to believe that it explains why I struggled so much as a kid, even into high school.  Kids with SPD tend to also have issues with reflux, allergies, and asthma.  I know it serves no purpose to beat myself up over something I had no choice about but I really hate that idea that Annie got this from me, and I'm really hoping that she's not going to have allergies and asthma like I do.  In short, the plan is to bombard Annie with as much stimulation as possible and teach her how to respond to it.  We're looking into putting her in a Music Together class.  Emma took a class when she was little and she loved.  I'm just hoping that it doesn't over-stimulate Annie.  It's expensive but if it helps . . .  I'm sure this whole paragraph seems disjointed but I'm seriously on overload about this whole thing.

On a happier note, we are all very excited about Emma's first dance performance on December 12, 13, and 14th.  She is in the ice skater dance and mommy (and daddy) could not be more proud.  I get all emotional about my little girl performing but I can't wait to see her.  More information coming soon!

We're finally ALL healthy.  It's a bizarre concept at our house but it's actually come to fruition.  I can't believe it.  

It has been cold and snowy here.  We've not had any accumulation (or delays) but I'm sure that will change in time.  Emma gets really excited about the snow.  I can't wait until we have enough to take her out and play in it.  

Emma's also very excited about Santa Claus coming.  Every commercial we hear, "MOMMY, DADDY, I WANT THAT!!!!!!!" or "Maybe Santa Claus can bring me that".  I cannot wait until Christmas morning.  

We have a busy day tomorrow and a busy week coming up so I need to head to bed.  

More later. . .



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are both such sweet girls..Mimi is excited about Christmas too. Mimi and Aunt Mimi are coming to your house for Christmas so we can see what Santa brought you!!!!!
Luv to you all